Sunday, April 7, 2019

Community Oil Pastel

So the other night I taped a sheet of 18x24 inch Carlton watercolor paper to my dining room wall and created my version of the theme "Community" for the Jackson District Library art show at the Carnegie branch. This is what I saw in my minds eye as I thought about the theme. I created a small version in my sketchbook journal to see how the colors would work together. I like this version, but think I could have deepened the colors. As it is, I used two colors of orange and two colors of blue oil pastels to create this work. It is very light and airy. I used mineral spirits to blend the colors and in so doing wiped off a great deal of the original colors. I've all ready taken it off the wall and added the "people" to the bottom (the little vertical strips of color under the orange banner). So I cannot add more color to the painting. The library is accepting works from adults and children starting today, April 7, 2019-April 11, 2019. The opening reception is sometime after 5 p.m. Friday, April 12. Maybe it runs from 5-7p.m. I'm not sure. I'll have to check the article for the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment